Last Updated: July 2018
Children Under the Age of 18
Personal Information Collected by BD
- INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE TO US
We receive and store any information you enter on the Sites or through the Services or provide to us in any other way. You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but then you may not be able to take advantage of many of our features. The personal information you provide is used for such purposes as responding to your requests for certain services, customizing the advertising and content you see, communicating with you about our products, and marketing our Services and/or those of our partners to you.
In order for you to use all of our features, you must register with BD. We require your name, e-mail address and sometimes certain demographic information, such as location, during the registration process. We may also request optional demographic information and unique identifiers to provide you with a more personalized service. You may also provide personal information to us when you create public bookmarks or take quizzes on the Sites or using the Services. We store individual users' quiz results as well as aggregate results to compare our users' performance over time and with each other.
You may register for the Sites and the Services through a third-party service (e.g., Google or Facebook), in which case the third-party service through which you register will state the access we have to your personal information.
- AUTOMATIC INFORMATION
We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. BD automatically receives and records "traffic data" on our server logs from your browser including your IP address, date and time of your visits to our Sites, your geographic location, BD cookie information, and pages you request. BD uses this traffic data to analyze trends and administer the Sites. Our service automatically collects usage information, such as the numbers and frequency of visitors to our Sites and their components. This data is only used in the aggregate. This type of collective data enables us to figure out how often users use different parts of the Sites and Services. In addition, we may provide statistical collective user information, not information about you personally, to our partners so that they understand how often people use specific components of our Sites and Services.
- E-MAIL COMMUNICATIONS
If your organization has an enterprise account with BD, we will communicate with your designated contact person through e-mail or phone calls.
Information From Other Sources
To improve our Services, we may receive information about you from other sources and add it to our account information. Like the information you provide to us, we do not share this information with anyone except business partners and authorized third parties in connection with providing you with our Services.
Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and tell us how and when pages in our Sites are visited and by how many people. BD cookies do not collect personal information, and we do not combine information collected through cookies with other personal information to tell us who you are or what your name or e-mail address is.
We may also employ the use of anonymous identifiers, which are random strings of characters that are used for the same purposes as cookies on platforms, including certain mobile devices, where cookie technology is not available. We may use web beacons or similar technology on our Services. Web beacons are small, invisible graphic images that may be used on our Services or in emails relating to our Services to collect certain information and monitor user activity on our Services, such as to count visits and understand usage effectiveness.
Sharing of Information by BD
- Affiliated Businesses We Do Not Control
BD may provide services or sell products jointly with affiliated businesses. We will share customer information that is related to such transactions with those affiliated businesses. We require our affiliates to provide the same level of privacy protection that we do and they do not have the right to share or use personal information for any purpose other than for an authorized transaction. BD may share demographic and other non-financial information with business partners.
We employ other companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf and need to share your information with them to provide products and services. Examples include billing, processing payments, providing marketing assistance, and providing customer service. Our agents subscribe to the same level of privacy protection as we do. Unless we tell you differently, BD's agents do not have any right to use the personal information we share with them beyond what is necessary to assist us.
- Billing Information
Financial and billing information collected through the Sites and Services is used solely to check the qualifications of prospective partners and customers and to bill for the Services. BD may transmit this information to independent contractors who are bound to us by written confidentiality agreements. This billing information is not used by BD for marketing or promotional purposes. BD uses a third-party intermediary to manage credit card processing who may store, retain, and use the information provided solely for the purpose of credit card processing.
- Promotional Offers
We or our business partners may send offers to certain users on behalf of other businesses or provide our partners with the opportunity to notify users directly of promotions. If you do not wish to receive these offers, please e-mail us at email@example.com
- Information You Post
When you post information on the Sites or through the Services, your username and certain profile information are visible to other users. BD or other parties may use information posted by you, along with your profile information, in any medium now existing or developed in the future. BD will use commercially reasonable efforts to attempt to notify you before using information posted by you along with your profile in other media.
- Business Transfers
In some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets. In these types of transactions, user information is typically one of the business assets that is transferred. Moreover, if BD, or substantially all of its assets, were acquired, or in the unlikely event that BD goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that is reviewed and transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of BD may continue to use your personal information as set forth in this policy.
- Protection of BD and Others
We or our business partners may release personal information when we in our sole discretion believe in good faith that release is necessary or appropriate to comply with the law, enforce or apply our conditions of use and other agreements, or protect the rights, property, or safety of BD, our employees, our users, or others.
- With Your Consent
Except as set forth above, you will be notified when your personal information may be shared with third parties.
USE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you are accessing our Services in Europe, then we are required to ensure that we only process your personal information where we have a legal basis to do so. When we process your personal information, we will only do so where at least one of the following applies:
- We need to use your personal information to perform our responsibilities under our contract with you (e.g. processing payments for and providing our Services).
- It is in our legitimate interests to use your personal information in certain circumstances. For example, it is in our legitimate interests to use your personal information in connection with our Services; to improve our Services; to ensure that our Services are secure; to, tell you about changes to our Services; to tell you about new services or products we are offering; for business reasons (for example to develop our business or if we are thinking of selling our business); to tell you about offers or promotions we are running; for operational purposes.
- Sometimes we may ask for your consent to use certain types of personal information (e.g. by asking you to tick an online box). In these circumstances, your consent will be our legal basis for processing your personal information. If you have provided consent, you may withdraw it at any time. You may do this where we give you the opportunity to do so, or by contacting us using the contact details above. For example, we may ask for your consent to pass your personal information to third parties who may send you information about products, services or offers you may be interested in.
Your BD account information is protected by a password for your privacy and security. We use industry-standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) software to protect the security of your personal information during transmission, which encrypts all of the information you input. Only employees or agents who need personal information to perform a specific job are granted access to it. All of our employees are kept up to date on our privacy and security practices. While BD uses commercially reasonable means to secure your information, we do not guarantee that your personal information will not be improperly accessed, disclosed, or destroyed by breach of any of our safeguards. Any transmission of Personal Data is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures used in the Services.
You are able to access, add to and update certain information about you. When you update information, however, we often maintain a copy of the unrevised information in our records. You may cancel your BD Pro Account by following the process set forth on the Sites. Some information may remain in our records after deletion of your account.
DURATION OF INFORMATION STORAGE
In general, we will only keep your personal information for as long as it is necessary to fulfill or achieve the above-mentioned purposes. Alternatively, we may continue to use your personal information in anonymized form. When you close your account with us, we will generally delete your personal information. Sometimes, however, we may keep your personal information after you have closed your account. For example:
- We may retain personal information about how you have used our Services in anonymized or aggregated form after you have closed your account with us so we can analyze how you have used our Services and improve users’ experience.
- We may also retain your personal information after you have closed your account so that we can send you information about products and services we think you may be interested in. You can "unsubscribe" to receiving such messages or tell us you are no longer interested.
- We may retain your personal information in order to protect our legal rights, or those of third party, or to comply with the law.
Conditions of Use
For users outside the United States, please note that any data or personally identifiable information you enter into the Services or Sites will be transferred out of your country and into the United States. You consent to such transfer through your use of the Services and Sites. You also warrant that you have the right to transfer such information outside your country and into the United States.
TRANSFER OF INFORMATION OUTSIDE OF THE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA
Whenever we transfer your personal information out of the EEA, we will comply with applicable data protection law. Some of the mechanisms we may choose to use when undertaking an international transfer are:
- The transfer of your personal data is to a country that has officially been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data by the European Commission.
- We may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission which give personal data the same protection it has in Europe (called the “EU Model Clauses”).
- Where we use providers based in the US, we may transfer data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between the Europe and the US. If the provider is not EU-US Privacy Shield certified, we may use the EU Model Clauses.
Many of our external third-party providers are based outside the EEA, so their processing of your personal data will involve a transfer of data outside the EEA.
Third Party Sites
The Sites and Services may permit you to link to other websites on the Internet, and other websites may contain links to the Sites or Services. These other websites are not under BD's control and BD is not responsible for the privacy or security practices or the content of such websites. We encourage you to learn about their privacy and security practices and policies before providing them with any personal information.
Your Choices and Rights Regarding the Use of Your Personal Information
You may "opt out" of receiving marketing or promotional messages from us by following the instructions in those messages. You may also opt out of such marketing by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your account or our on-going business relations. We want you to be in control of your information, so you also have the following rights:
- To have access to any personal information we hold about you.
- To ask us to erase the personal information we hold about you.
- To ask us not to use your personal information for direct-marketing purposes.
- To restrict the way that we process your personal information.
- To have your personal information provided to a third-party provider of services.
- To have a copy of any personal information which we hold about you.
- To object to our processing of your personal information.
If you need help or wish to exercise any of the above rights or have questions about them, please contact us using the details above. We will consider all such requests and provide our response as soon as we can. Please note, however, that personal information may be exempt from such requests in certain circumstances, which may include needing to keep processing your personal information for our legitimate interests or to comply with a legal obligation. Please note that we may request you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity.
Complaints, Questions or Concerns
If you have any complaints, queries or questions about how we use your personal information, please send us a detailed message to email@example.com or to BIODIGITAL, INC. at 594 Broadway, Suite 1101, New York, NY 10012. We will then get in touch with you to see how we can help. If you have a complaint about how we use your personal information, we would always prefer you to contact us first. However, you may also make a complaint to the relevant data privacy regulator if you wish to do so. Please let us know if you are unsure about how to get in touch with the data privacy regulator. Your privacy is important to us and we will make every effort to resolve your concerns.
Last Updated: July 2018
© 2020 BIODIGITAL, INC. All rights reserved.